Tuesday, September 16, 2014

My Oasis of Sanity

Have you ever noticed that it is so much harder to get something done when you do not "plan" it into your day?  You may think to yourself, "I am going to do thus-and-so", but unless you actually PLAN the time...set it aside...you will likely not get to it.  I am definitely that way.  It's true of everything that is not critical in my life such as:  running, exercise class, creating art, reading, etc.  I have planned reading into my day, so it is one thing that usually gets done.  I always go to bed with a book.  The other stuff...not so much.

One little oasis of sanity in this mix is my planned monthly art group meeting.  Notice that it is p-l-a-n-n-e-d.  There are seven of us in my art group (sometimes eight), and we rotate between houses with each one presenting a new technique or project.  My group meeting is this week and I am soooo looking forward to it!  With the craziness of summer, we didn't meet monthly as we normally do, and I am overdue for another art group fix.

Several months ago one of the members presented this project which was inspired by Christy Tomlinson's "She Art."  We used stenciling, drawing, collaging, and modeling paste to create these 8 x 10 canvases. This is my piece:


Would you like to start your own art group?  I wrote an in-depth article about my art group in the winter 2011-12 issue of Altered Arts magazine.

~Cyndi

No comments:

Post a Comment