Wednesday, November 12, 2014

DIY Christmas Ornament Garland


I have always loved those beautiful Christmas ornament garlands that inundate all the holiday catalogs this time of year. However, priced at anywhere from $50 to over $100, it has always been a splurge I was unwilling to make.

Last year, though, I went on an after-Christmas rampage and hit all the major sales. I, fortunately, was able to pick up the makings for an ornament garland on the cheap. I don't remember if the sale was 50% or 75% off, but at any rate I got all the supplies for between $3.99 and $7.99. I bought the pre-lit 9' garland and two packages of ornaments on sale. To complete the project I also used floral wire and wire snips that I already had on-board. From setup to completion, it took almost exactly one hour.

Laying out the supplies.
Before I started attaching, I laid out the pattern.  Notice there is one ornament left-over.

One thing to note is that when I was wiring the ornaments onto the garland, I discovered that it was so much easier to remove the ornaments themselves from the metal hanger and to attach only the metal hanger. Once wired into place, I would then put the ball back onto the metal hanger.

Placing the wire (colored yellow for easier viewing).


Attach the metal hanger only.  Replace the ball after you wire it on.
The number of ornaments I had purchased did not completely fill the garland, so when I get a chance I will be getting more ornaments to complete the project. One more package should do it; at Wal-Mart they should be only about three bucks full-price.

The original price.  Not bad to start with, right?  If you wait for the after-Christmas sales like me, you could score it for $2.50!


The original price for the ornaments.
In my family we have a rule: We may not decorate, listen to Christmas music or watch Christmas movies until AFTER Thanksgiving. Of course as tradition has it, we listen to Christmas music on the way home from Thanksgiving dinner. That said, I won't be displaying my garland until that time. When I do, I'll be sure to post follow-up pictures.

It's a lot easier than you think!

~Cyndi

No comments:

Post a Comment