Saturday, November 1, 2014

Book Reviews - The Trident Deception

Have I mentioned that I read? A LOT?

A number of  years ago I suffered from insomnia.  I would lay awake at night tossing and turning until the wee hours.  Some nights I didn't sleep at all.  I realized that the reason why I had such awful insomnia was because I am a planner, and I spent all night planning.  Add in any anxiety, and the planning to try and relieve whatever was causing it, and it seemed I never got a good night's sleep.

I decided I needed something to shut my brain down at night, a misdirection, if you will. Enter the books.  At first it was very difficult to read at bedtime.  I would read several paragraphs and realize that I did not have a clue what I had just read. Why? Because my mind was working on other subjects at the same time.  Once I was finally able to have my mind focus on the written word only, I was able to get drowsy and fall asleep.

What started as a prescription to relieve insomnia has resulted in a large consumption of fiction.  Thank goodness for my library card!

Over the next several days I will be posting reviews of the last five books that I have read.  I read all of these books in the span of about four weeks.

The first one is The Trident Deception by Rick Campbell.




Here is the synopsis from the author's website:


The 24 missiles carried by a TRIDENT ballistic missile submarine can obliterate an entire country, leaving behind a wasteland uninhabitable for 10,000 years. A single radio transmission stands in the way…

 Israeli Intelligence confirms Iran will complete assembly of its first nuclear weapon within a month, and the Israeli Security Council decides the Iranian facility must be destroyed. But the Iranian weapon complex is buried deep underground and can be destroyed only by a nuclear strike. The political implications of using nuclear weapons against Iran are severe, so the Prime Minister authorizes a Mossad operation that results in launch orders being transmitted to a U.S. ballistic missile submarine. As the USS Kentucky transits to within launch range, the Pacific Fleet is sortied to prevent the unthinkable. But will the Kentucky be detected and sunk before the crew completes its mission, or will the ship's 24 nuclear tipped missiles unleash a holocaust of unprecedented proportion?

I really like spy novels...think the Bourne series by Robert Ludlum.  This book delivers in that same style.  The reading was easy and the story compelling.  It was a page-turner and was difficult to put down.  This one would be a four-star book in my mind.  If you like action-packed adventures, you, too, will enjoy this book.

This was the first book I'd read by this author and I can't wait to sink my teeth into another one.  The sequel to it, Empire Rising, is due out in February, 2015.

The next books in my book review series are:  Half in Love with Artful Death by Bill Crider, Magnificent Vibration by Rick Springfield (Yes, THAT Rick Springfield!), Seven Wonders by Ben Mezrich, and The Lost Key by Catherine Coulter and J.T. Ellison.

~Cyndi


No comments:

Post a Comment